Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt to Prove It


Sooo I want to enter a 5k. This has been a goal of mine for awhile now, and while a small goal to all my marathon friends, it's plenty of running for me. I've been consistently running for about a month and a half now (minus a few days here and a few days there for my foot issues), and I'm getting close to where I would feel comfortable running that distance in a race. The beautiful thing about Florida is that I can run this race in November and it won't be all that cold! I need to wait till late October or early November so I have time to get used to new running shoes, which I'll finally be purchasing next week, as well as build up some endurance.

This may sound silly, but the true reason I want to run a 5k is for the shirt haha. Don't get me wrong; it has been motivating for me to have a goal to work toward, and I am challenged every run when I think about racing 3.1 miles. I haven't raced since high school, and the thought of racing now motivates me to work hard in my runs to get better. But really, some 5ks have super cool shirts! I'm sure greater people would run for a cause close to their hearts, or to be a healthier person, or to set a personal record. No, I'd like the shirt, please. There aren't many options here in Gainesville in the next few months, so I'm branching out a little and thinking about traveling somewhere fairly close to run. I think it would be a good way to see some of Florida and entertain myself on the weekends while Tracy is busy working. There are runs coming up in Jacksonville, Melbourne, and St. Augustine (my personal favorite place in Florida so far), and none of them are too far away.

In other news, I fly to Oklahoma in less than 8 days!!! Can't wait can't wait can't wait. I'm going to eat about 8000 meals in the four days that I'm there to make up for all the restaurants I miss, enjoy the cool weather, see my family, and watch some OU football in a land where nobody cares about the Gators. Pretty sure no one in the whole world is more excited than I am about next week.

Finally, I have only 2 days left of this placement! While I'm ready to move on, I will miss the kiddos. Today they told me that I need to marry Tim Tebow so that I can stay at their school (1. Yuck, 2. Not sure how that would keep me at the school). When I told them that I don't know Tebow, they promptly suggested that I become a cheerleader so I can meet him. I asked, "What if I already have a boyfriend?" and one of my students informed me that he would punch my boyfriend in the face. Look out, Tracy. You have an angry 8-year-old on your trail.

Life continues to go well, partially because of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Yeah, I had never tried one before last week, but I finally caved after hearing so many rave reviews. It WAS that good, and I'm now patiently waiting till Friday so that I can celebrate my last day of this placement with some coffee. Hope everyone's week is going splendidly and that you're all able to enjoy the amazing weather!

1 comment: