Saturday, May 14, 2011

Boom. Posted.

Long time no talk, blog world. I done been busy. Buuut now I'm back, so get excited. I need to update more than once every couple of months so I can remember what I blogged about the last time. Such is life, I suppose...

Life continues to be just lovely in Florida. Believe it or not, Tracy and I are approaching the one-year mark of living in Gainesville. As Tracy says, fun flies when you're doing time :). We both continue to be incredibly busy with work... he's on a 24-hour shift at the moment, just like he has been every weekend for the last month and a half or so. Neither one of us are really big fans of the 24-hour shifts, but it's fun to bring food to him (and sometimes, other residents) at the hospital and see him for a few minutes. The rest of the week, he's working 12-hour days, and my days are usually 11-12 hours as well, so the couple hours we have in the evening together are quite appreciated. We do a lot of eating, watching American Idol, being stupid, and talking about how much we don't want to go to work the next day. It's a reeeeeal nice routine haha. We're very happy here, although we both miss Oklahoma (oh my gosh though, one of the Sonics in Gainesville has reopened!!! A moment of silence for the Sonic, please...).

The weather here is... interesting. It's been unusually warm weather for Gainesville lately, with highs in the 90s for the past few weeks, and it hit over 100 degrees the other day. Right now though, it's raining. What?!?! Today has just been really confusing in terms of weather. Woke up and it was sunny. Late morning, it starts raining. Starts to taper off a bit. Early afternoon, it's absolutely pouring. Late afternoon, clear and beautiful again, 75 degrees. Now? Thunder, lightning, loud rain. Make up your mind, Florida!

As for grad school, I received notification that I was on the waiting list. This didn't really surprise me, because even though my test scores and grades were well above their average acceptance standards, I didn't have a lot of documented shadowing of speech pathologists or anything. What did surprise me is that this year, they didn't even touch the wait list. Every. Single. Person. Accepted. While I was pretty upset about this originally, I've come to accept my fate, and my plan is to continue gaining more experience this summer and fall and applying again next year. From everything I've heard, the program is really competitive, so to get in I shall have to "up my game," so to speak. Or, you know, break into the computer system, change their acceptance list, and show up for class in August like nothing happened. That's an option, too.

As it gets warmer, Tracy and I are looking forward to him having some weekends off once he starts anesthesia. We have big plans this summer. We want to visit the natural springs around here (crystal clear 70 degree water, yes please), spend some time in Ft. Lauderdale with friends, visit St. Petersburg, go to the ocean a million times, and I may be taking a trip back to Oklahoma at some point. If anyone wants to come say hi and join in on the fun, you just let me know!

1 comment:

  1. That's a bummer on grad school, but I'm sure it'll work out in the end. We're planning a busy summer too, and we'll be in the Tampa area at the end of June. The natural springs were really great up there, but it's been years since I've been. Anytime you guys are in the Ft. Lauderdale area and want to meet up, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete