Thursday, September 9, 2010

When Running Goes Bad


Normally, I would be at school right now. In fact, I'd love to be at school rather than at home with a mysterious injury... Last night I was out running when it felt like my left foot got a cramp. Since cramps aren't really a huge deal, I kept running, and I ended up having a great run. I thought nothing else of the foot pain until about 1:00 in the morning, when the pain woke me up in a most unpleasant manner. I knew at this point that my foot was not having a cramp, so I took some ibuprofen and stuck a heating pad around my foot and went back to bed, crossing my fingers that I would be miraculously healed in the morning. Unfortunately, I woke up, put my weight on my foot, and promptly said (and I quote), "Owwwwww..." Because my teacher's classroom is at the far end of the school, the thought of hobbling through a school day sounded pretty unbearable. Instead, I trucked it on over to Urgent Care. Let me be clear: I hate having invisible injuries like this. I always feel like everyone thinks you're faking it when you walk around with a limp. Soooo then I felt like I looked like even more of a faker when the doctor saw no stress fractures and no weirdness in my foot. It turned out to be a fairly useless visit, and I was prescribed an anti-inflamatory and a pain reliever and told to rest, ice it, blah blah blah. Hopefully my invisible mystery injury heals soon so I can get back to running. It has felt great to get back into a routine, and an injury wasn't so much what I was going for.

Other than this unexpected development, my life is pretty average at the moment. Almost done with this week of school, and my first formal observation is next Thursday... I think I have my next step in this whole career thing mostly worked out, but I'm gonna wait awhile to talk about it... I have FOUR WEEKS till I'm back on beautiful Oklahoma soil for a visit! :) Can't wait for that... I believe tomorrow Tracy's and my delightful friend Jake may be coming to town from Ft. Lauderdale to hang out, and we always have lots of fun. Also can't wait to see OU kick Florida State's butt this weekend in football. Um, that's all... Enjoy your Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. Hrm. You run on a regular basis... I'd say check to make sure your shoes are still in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo for your foot! I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( So sad. I've had so many foot injuries with running. Make sure you're wearing good shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete