Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Agonizing Over a One-Page Paper

Personal statements are of the devil. Just when I thought the hard part of applying to grad school was over, I realized that I hadn't written the all-important paper about me. So many rules! Brag, but don't make it sound like you're bragging. Tell a story at the beginning, but don't let it be cheesy or use "normal" speech. Inform us of all the reasons you want to be in our program, but keep it to a page or slightly more. Oh, and please tell us your lifetime career plans.... I don't think I've ever spent so many days on such a short paper in my life. I'm a big fan of the "write a whole bunch, don't proofread it, and turn it in" approach. That doesn't exactly work in this situation, sadly.

When not agonizing over my personal statement, I've been doing a little running, a little cooking, and a lot of work. Work is awesome, thanks for asking. Life is awesome, thanks for asking again. It is finally to that part of the year where I'm truly appreciating all Florida has to offer (read: It's not frigid here). I can run outside in shorts! I can wear flip-flops and not look insane! I can drive a few hours south and go to the beach. IN JANUARY!!! Ok ok, I'm done rubbing it in now. Wait, no I'm not. I NEVER HAVE TO SCRAPE ICE OFF MY WINDSHIELD!!!!! Bwahahaha. Now I'm really done, I promise. For this post.

Congrats to all my newly engaged friends! Even if I haven't gotten to each and every one of your personally, I'm quite excited for you and this fun time in your life. That's all for now, folks!

1 comment:

  1. Grahm just applied to grad school... and I'm pretty sure he spent like fifteen hours writing that personal statement. That's a pretty serious one page paper and I think it merits a little freak out session :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete